General Skilled Visas are for skilled workers who want to live and work in Australia and who do not have an employer sponsoring them. These points-tested visas are for skilled people applying as an independent migrant as well as those sponsored by a relative, or nominated by a State or Territory government.
General skilled visas include three visa subclasses:
- Subclass 189 Skilled Independent visa – independent applicant
- Subclass 190 Skilled Nominated visa – State/Territory-nominated applicant
- Subclass 489 Skilled Regional Provisional visa – State/Territory-nominated or family-sponsored applicant
In order to be eligible to apply for any of these visas, applicants must first submit an expression of interest to the Immigration Department and may only apply for the visa on invitation.
General requirements for these visas are:
- Nomination of an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list
- Skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority
- Aged under 50
- Competent English ability
- Meet the required points test pass mark