There are a number of migration options for parents, children, and other family members of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens.
You may be eligible to apply for a parent visa if you meet the following requirements:
- You have a child who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen who is willing to sponsor you and that child has been lawfully resident in Australian for at least 2 years;
- You meet the Balance of Family test;
- An Australian citizen or permanent resident, or an Australian organisation provides Assurance of Support;
- You meet health and character requirements.
Balance of Family Test
You meet the balance of family test if:
- at least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or
- more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.
Depending on your date of birth, the eligibility age for the age pension is 65 to 67.
Parent Visa Categories
Non-Contributory Parent Visas
Non-contributory parent visas have lower application charges but longer processing times (currently estimated to be 30 years):
- Aged Parent visa (Subclass 804) for applicants who are old enough to receive the Australian aged pension. Applicants must be in Australia to apply for this visa and when the visa is granted;
- Parent visa (Subclass 103) for applicants under the aged pension eligibility age.
Contributory Parent Visas
Contributory parent visas have higher application charges and shorter processing times (currently around 4 years):
- Contributory Parent visa (Subclass 143) – permanent visa for applicants who wish to pay the full contributory fee. You may be inside or outside Australia when you apply;
- Contributory Parent Temporary visa (Subclass 173) – temporary visa requiring approximately 60% of the contributory fee. This visa permits up to 2 years residence in Australia before submission of an application for the permanent 143 visa, which requires the balance of the contributory fee;
- Contributory Aged Parent visa (Subclass 864) – permanent visa for aged parent applicants who wish to pay the full contributory fee. You must be in Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted;
- Contributory Aged Parent Temporary visa (Subclass 884) – temporary visa for aged parent applicants requiring approximately 60% of the contributory fee. This visa permits up to 2 years residence in Australia before submission of an application for the permanent 864 visa which requires the balance of the contributory fee.